Ellingson Island

Ellingson island is right of the shore of Lake Superior at Split Rock. I've explored there once before, but last year the water was high enough that I had to walk through freezing cold, waist-deep water to get out there. The bay was mostly frozen and the water was a little lower, so I was able to jump across the rocks, not even getting my feet wet. 

It was a nice sunny day, I spent a few hours sitting on the rocks reading and just enjoying the view. I was able to snuggle into the root base of a rather large white cedar, enjoying the fragrance in the slight breeze. I spent most of the morning kicked back and relaxing but also did a little bit of exploring. I didn't spend much time looking around, so I'd like to go back soon. I'll probably wait until the plants are up and growing. 

Arthonia clemens lichenicolous on Rhizoplaca 

Black rock licorice lichen (Lichinella nigritella)

Common clamshell lichen (Hypocenomyce scalaris)

Montanelia saximontana

Punctelia stictica - state endangered

Yellow soot lichen (Calicium lucidum)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lichenicolous Fungi at Goldeneye Lake

Lichens and Lichenicolous Fungi of Grand Marais

Sap is Flowing